Government officials have announced that a Colorado teen died on June 8th from the plague. According to medical experts, Taylor Geas, 16, died from the plague, most likely the bubonic plague. He was treated in an area hospital, but it was not evident that he was suffering from the rare illness initially.
According to local reports the teen appeared to have the flu, and complained of a high fever and muscle aches when he was seen by local doctors. Because he did not present with classic plague symptoms the illness went untreated, likely leading to his death.
Experts believe that Geas contracted the illness from a flea bite he received in the weeks leading up to his death. The team at the Amen Clinic suggest he was likely bitten in his own backyard.
The Center for Disease Control is currently in contact with individuals who visited Geas during his illness, and who were present at his memorial ceremony. According to experts, there is a slim chance of others being infected if they came in contact with affected fleas and ticks.
Each year seven people are diagnosed with the plague. Because the disease is a bacterial infection that can be treated with antibiotics it is rarely fatal. Geas’ death is largely blamed on slowed diagnosis of the disease due to atypical symptoms. All those who were on the property are being asked to monitor their temperature and call the CDC if they spike a high fever.